TO9XCT is a "random talk and trash"-blog, about old computertechnology from the 90's. (Yeah... I love that old "shit")
Sunday, 9 August 2015
2 x Voodoo2
I got myself some Voodoo2 cards a couple of weeks ago. I did buy a 12mb PowerColor before I purchased these two cards. Yet no second PowerColor was avaliable at that time.
And I think that a second one will be extremely hard to come by (unless a reader wants to sell his).
Now. What can I do with these babies? Well...
I think I will install them on a K6-III-400 system, sporting eighter a Matrox G400 or a Compaq TNT2 Ultra. As I feel that they are the top dog amoungst cards for the Socket Super 7 platform. Shure I could do better by installing a V3-3500 or 12mb V2-SLI. The problem is, that I do not have an extra V3-3500, and I don't have the extra PowerColor V2.
Well... Into my GA-5AX system they will go.
Why did I buy them then?
Back in the late 90's, more specific in 1998. I dreamt of owning a Voodoo2, and the dream kept on until Geforce6 was released. Then I finally moved on, wanting more and more powerfull hardware. Until I eventually decided to get back to my roots of computing.
I have my modern laptop, on were I use the internet, reading email's. Modern stuff like that.... What I really needed, was to get back into the classic pc-stuff. Things like setting EMM386 and playing around with IRQ's DMA's and stuff like that.
Then I began searching for old stuff. Old hardware and taking up my old and not forgotten skills of setting jumpers. Configuring config.sys/autoexec.bat. I just began enjoying my childhood joy of old hardware you just have to know and configure on your own.
It all escalated, to the point were my collection of hardware is allmost covered from 1994 to 1999. And this is were these old V2 babies come in. I have them, and they are hard to get. Unless of course. You are willing to go on eBay and pay more than 8 times what they really are worth.
(if you ask my personal view on what they are worth)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I also have a couple of V2s from Techworks which I'm about to build into a K7 600 system.
ReplyDeleteGreat cards, legendary even!
Heelo! I saw your post here: https://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?t=40541 about your Voodoo 3 custom cooler mod. What wide has those zip ties? I can't the 2.5 mm wide one pull through the small hole. Thanks!
ReplyDelete