So I started cleaning the shell, doing some soldering and finally assembly of the "new" power supply. First I soldered the 220/240 volt switch onto the right wire, and used some shrink tube to seal it off in order to make it safe for operation. 220/240 are not fun, when stuff fails.
The next step, was to solder longer wires to the cable that goes to the Amiga. I did not have all the correct coloured wires, yet most of them are the correct ones. I gave the tips that need to be installed in the terminals, some solder in order for the terminals to make a firm grip.
The next step, was to measure them for continuity and to measure correct voltages and stuff like that. And just to give a little tip, then use a tiny bit of shrink tube, if you need to have one of the probes on a specific pin. Like the pin that are GND.
The cable are finished, and ready to be installed in the terminals now.
Just one final touch. Some more shrink tube, in order to make sure that the solder joints are well and safe.
Finally I was able to fit the power supply inside it's new home. I had to remove some material from the inside of the case, as the MeanWell are too long for it. I had to give up two screw holes in one end as an example. Anyway... It fits now, and I secured that end, with a bit of clear tape. This took me one evening to make. And now I have enough juice for the TF-530 accelerator card. The best part, is that it looks real, runs cool and are noise less.
I only have to test it on a real Amiga, and not only measuring the voltage outputs. I think I will test it on my 500 Revision 5. As it is the machine that is worth the least in my collection. If all is well, then I will test it on my 600 and finally it should be ok to power my 500-Turbo Edition. That is the one that I will miss the most, if one of my machines should die a horrible death of flames and smoke. I just cross my fingers now, and will do some more testing before powering on any Amiga at all.
I have now tested it on both my Amiga500 Revision 5 machine, and on my Amiga600 machine. They are both running stable and without issues with this power supply. This mod have been a good experience to try, and I can recommend it to anyone that want something good for their Amiga's.







No comments:
Post a Comment