I recieved an TheC64 Full Size (the big with working keyboard) for my birthday this year, and as much as they have created a working and good joystick for the machine, then I simply can not use it. It is horrible for me to use. Well... There is nothing wrong with the stick it self. It is just that I have always had a problem with both CompetitionPRO and ZipSticks. The reason is that they make my hands cramp when playing more than some 15 minutes or so. They are just junk to me.
Enter the Retro-Fun 9-Pin to USB adaptor... Yay... It converts a standard old 9-Pin digital joystick to USB port. And it have tons of useage. It works under Windows (Duh'. Obviously), it works under MacOS and it even works under Linux. However using it under Linux, I had install a joystick package (For installation, use Synaptics and get jstest-gtk). However I bought the adaptor for use with my TheC64. And yes, it works on that machine as well. That said, not out of the box as such.
At first, I was not able to use it. The adaptor was simply not compatible out of the box. Getting the adaptor to work, was actually quite easy. The manual gave me a hint. When plugging the adaptor in, I had to hold the fire button down and hold the stick down at the same time. This changes the adaptors settings to TheC64-Mini mode. And it works on the big machine with working keyboard. The one people call Maxi. I just call it "Full Size".
There is a big minus, with having it in Mini-Mode. Using that mode, there is no way to update the firmware or change settings to Amiga mouse or something else like that. Wich is not the point for my purchase anyway. It is to have it working on my TheC64 in order to use my two favorite sticks. They are "The Arcade" and then "Wico Command Control".
The adaptor is this one below. It works perfect and I can highly recommend it, if you want your favorite joystick with TheC64-Full-Size or TheC64-Mini. And before people ask about the shortcut buttons on the default stick that came with TheC64. Then they are not really of any use. Pressing the power button quickly, brings up the "menu" on the machine. On the Full Size machine, I can do without. On the Mini, it might be a different story. I honestly have no clue, as I waited for the full size, because they announced it back before the mini was avaliable for sale.
Thanks for reading....


No comments:
Post a Comment